The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committees directly responsible to?

cshoke@comcast.net

Hi again. Can somone give me an RONR reference stating that standing and special committees appointed by the BOD are directly responsible to the BOD? This includes an audit/financial review committee. In this particular case, the committee on nominations is composed of the Second Immediate Past President as Chairman and the current President-Elect shall be one of the four members. Three members shall be elected by the membership at the September meeting.

If not directly responsible to the BOD, then are any of these responsible to the membership?

Your input is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Can somone give me an RONR reference stating that standing and special committees appointed by the BOD are directly responsible to the BOD?

Well, no, because it's a bit more complicated than that. Committees of the board report to the board. Committees of the society, on the other hand, report to the general membership (even if the board appoints the committee) unless the Bylaws provide otherwise (RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 485-486).

If not directly responsible to the BOD, then are any of these responsible to the membership?

Committees of the society report to the general membership and committees of the board report to the board. Nominating committees should usually be committees of the society, but your Bylaws may provide otherwise.

There appears to be a confusion of committees here. It APPEARS to me from your first paragraph that the COMMITTEE ON NOMINATIONS is a committee of the membership since the membership elects 3 of the members; the other 2 positions are ex-officio positions, not appointed ones, according to how I read your post. Nothing in your post tells me that this is a committee appointed by the board. Where in your Bylaws does the Committee on Nominations appear? Unless this committee has been directed to be under the authority of the board, or designated as a special or standing committee of the board, it is a committee of the membership. It reports to the membership, although it may submit a copy of its report to the board as a courtesy, or by some rule may be required to give a report to the board as well.

Your reference to the audit/financial committee has no reference for us to make any decision on reporting requirements. Usually boards report on their activities at an annual meeting, if there is one. Board committees report to the board, and the board reports to the membership.

Hopefully this will help. The parent organization has established "model" bylaws. In this model within the "Committees" article, units should be including their list of standing committees & their purposes. At a minimum, the standing committees include the Bylaws and Standing Rules Committee & the Committee on Nominations. The "responsibility" section states "All committees, except the Committee on Nominations, shall be directly responsible to the Board of Directors and shall submit all plans, prior to execution, to the Board of Directors for approval." Also, standing committees are appointed by the board of directors.

In the "Audit" article, it states "An audit shall be made of the unit's financial records by a qualified person or persons appointed by the board of directors. Such audit shall be completed within 30 days of the close of the fiscal year and a written report covering the audit shall be submitted to the board of directors."

What dynamics make a committee of the society? Thanks for the input.

"All committees, except the Committee on Nominations, shall be directly responsible to the Board of Directors and shall submit all plans, prior to execution, to the Board of Directors for approval."

Well, if this statement from the model Bylaws is also included in your Bylaws, then I think you have the answer to your question - that is, it would seem that all the committees report to the board, except the Nominating Committee, which presumably reports to the society.

What dynamics make a committee of the society?

A committee of the society would be a committee which reports to the general membership rather than to the board. Typically, this includes special committees appointed by the general membership and all standing committees except where the Bylaws provide otherwise (as yours apparently do for almost all committees if they follow the model bylaws in this detail).

Archived