The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Does an organization place itself in a fudiciary copacity as to funds in it's posession?

Guest Bruce McPherson

Guest Bruce McPherson

Our Chapter bylaws state that all chapter money will be immediately deposited in a bank account in the name of the chapter without any deductions or offsets. I have two questions, 1. Does this statement place the chapter in a fudiciary capacity? The second question may be a bit harder to unravel. We have a 50/50 drawing at each chapter meeting to solicit funds for our annual membership Bar B Que. At present, the Sergeant at Arms sells the tickets, and conducts the drawing. He makes a speech stating what the drawing is for and that the winner receives 50% of the ticket sold. He also states that so far everyone has donated their share back to the fund. At the present time, these funds are kept in the possession of the Sergeant of Arms at his home. Shouldn't the funds collected be immediately deposited in the chapter's bank account so that it can be properly accounted for?

I think your first question is best asked of an attorney and I think the answer to your second question depends on how your assembly defines "immediately". Should the Sergeant-at-Arms run to the bank each time he sells a raffle ticket? At the end of the day? At the end of the week?

Questions about what should be done are ultimately left for the members to determine. RONR is primarily concerned with how to do it.

Our Chapter bylaws state that all chapter money will be immediately deposited in a bank account in the name of the chapter without any deductions or offsets. I have two questions, 1. Does this statement place the chapter in a fudiciary capacity? The second question may be a bit harder to unravel. We have a 50/50 drawing at each chapter meeting to solicit funds for our annual membership Bar B Que. At present, the Sergeant at Arms sells the tickets, and conducts the drawing. He makes a speech stating what the drawing is for and that the winner receives 50% of the ticket sold. He also states that so far everyone has donated their share back to the fund. At the present time, these funds are kept in the possession of the Sergeant of Arms at his home. Shouldn't the funds collected be immediately deposited in the chapter's bank account so that it can be properly accounted for?

Neither of these questions has anything to do with parliamentary procedure. I'm afraid you've come to the wrong forum.

Archived