The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removal for cause

Guest Eddie

My wife and I are new member's of a local Lions Club and we have been asking for our club bylaws and each time we get the same response that they don't have a copy. During our last nomination meeting and election, we questioned one of the nominees because they live in a different city and do no attend meetings on a regular basis. When we mentioned that International bylaws require all elected officials to be active with the club and attend majority of meetings, we were met with disagreement. Our own president said the our club is unique and we don't follow any bylaws, we run the club as we see fit. Needless to say, a week later my wife and I received letters that we were being removed by the club for cause. Also, one other member who ran against our current president also received notice because he too asked that our club follow bylaws. This too me sounds like an abuse of power and a club that is not following the constiution and bylaws set by the Lions Organization.

Your statement doesn't really have much to do with Robert's Rule of Order but I would suggest that you contact a higher ranking Lions club to see what they have to say on the subject. A few things come to mind reading your post:

1) It doesn't sound like you or your wife (and possibly the other member) were notified about the meeting where you were expelled from membership (unless the bylaws which you aren't being given give the President the authority to unilaterally expel members without having to have a meeting). That in of itself would render the expulsions null and void (RONR p. 251[e]).

2) Without having access to the bylaws how would you know whether the procedures for expelling you all were followed?

Maybe a higher ranked club will have some tools to rein in the wayward local club and compel them to follow the bylaws (or adopt some if they truly have none-which I find hard to believe) and put a stop/countermand your expulsions.

Archived