The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Conflict of Interest

Guest Arthur Mills

Guest Arthur Mills

My question is, how does RONR define confilct of interest? Is it primarily intended to deal with financial interest? Does it also include non-financial interest where a member of a voting body might be affected directly by an outcome? Does it include mere strong interest in a subject (including bias one way or the other)?

My question is, how does RONR define confilct of interest?

It doesn't.

Is it primarily intended to deal with financial interest? Does it also include non-financial interest where a member of a voting body might be affected directly by an outcome? Does it include mere strong interest in a subject (including bias one way or the other)?

RONR dictates that "No member should vote on a question in which he has a direct personal or pecuniary interest not common to other members of the organization… …However, no member can be compelled to refrain from voting in such circumstances." - RONR (11th ed.), p. 407, ll. 22-31.

Guest Arthur Mills

Thanks for your quick reply. My question is, does RONR define conflict of interest? We have a situation where someone is claiming that simply because a person has a strong perspective (perhaps even a bias), that they should recuse themselves. My understanding is that a conflict of interest involves a personal (including sometimes family) financial interest or some similar personal interest (e.g., continuation or sessation of employment) in the outcome, not a policy interest or bias. Does RONR speak to this or simply use the phrase "conflict of interest"?

As Mr. Wynn noted above RONR doesn't define the term and as far as I know it doesn't even use the term. I think the closest you will get is the citation that was given.

It appears about a third of the way down on page 681*. Other than that, I haven't seen it. ;)

(*That's my highest page number reference ever.)

We have a situation where someone is claiming that simply because a person has a strong perspective (perhaps even a bias), that they should recuse themselves.

It seems that this "someone" is claiming that members should only vote on issues that they don't care about. That's an interesting concept… but it's not parliamentary.

Archived