The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Taking a motion off the table - limits of debate

Guest Dave S.

I'm facing a situation about a tabled motion that may come up in our next stated meeting.

I understand that the motion can be made to 'take it from the table'. I understand that this motion requires a second. I also understand that it is undebatable. What is unbebatable? Is it merely the motion to remove from the table or is it the matter that has been tabled?

I'm getting conflicting opinions. Some say that the entire matter is undebatable. Others say the only undebatable matter is whether to take it from the table or not. Once that is completed the once tabled item is to be treated like any other motion and is subject to debate. Please advise.

I'm facing a situation about a tabled motion that may come up in our next stated meeting.

I understand that the motion can be made to 'take it from the table'. I understand that this motion requires a second. I also understand that it is undebatable. What is unbebatable? Is it merely the motion to remove from the table or is it the matter that has been tabled?

I'm getting conflicting opinions. Some say that the entire matter is undebatable. Others say the only undebatable matter is whether to take it from the table or not. Once that is completed the once tabled item is to be treated like any other motion and is subject to debate. Please advise.

Yeah, that.

'When a question is taken from the table, it is before the assembly, with everything adhering to it, exactly as it was when laid on the table.' (RONR 11th ed. p. 303 ll. 19-21)

That would be pretty bizarre, if you could permanently cripple the processing of a motion by simply putting it on the table and taking it off again.

Archived