The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Modify Amendments

Guest Gary

Does RRON offer guidance on modification to proposed amendments at a meeting of the Society? Thank you.

Well, it offers guidance on the process of how amendments to bylaws are handled. It doesn't offer much guidance on the language you'll want to use for those amendments, or the amendments to the amendments. Perhaps you could be a bit more specific with your question. (and please note, we don't interpret or assist with the bylaws or amendments, just the parliamentary procedure at the meeting)

I am subm,iting Bylaws amendments that will be mailed to the Club members with our annual meeting notice. I am wondering how dramatic amendments to the amednments can be at the meeting without taking it off the table. For example if the context and purpose in tact verses changes in words to remove ambiquity. I can imagine such major changes that approved amendments could be protested later.

I am wondering how dramatic amendments to the amednments can be at the meeting without taking it off the table. For example if the context and purpose in tact verses changes in words to remove ambiguity.

Changes to the proposed amendments can be made as long as the fall "within the scope of the notice" of the amendments originally proposed. That will limit how "dramatic" they can be.

I am subm,iting Bylaws amendments that will be mailed to the Club members with our annual meeting notice. I am wondering how dramatic amendments to the amednments can be at the meeting without taking it off the table. For example if the context and purpose in tact verses changes in words to remove ambiquity. I can imagine such major changes that approved amendments could be protested later.

"The requirement of notice restricts amendment of the proposed bylaw amendment to changes within the scope of the notice, as explained on pages 594–96 (see also Standard Characteristic 6, p. 306)."

Archived