The Official RONR Q & A Forums

withdrawel of nomination

Guest Karen Keller

Guest Karen Keller

Our organizations nominating committee presented the board with a slate of nominees.

Since presenting the slate and before ballots are sent out, one of our nominees withdrew

her nomination.

The Board has received an official withdrawal from nomination as VP. Our bylaws do not address this situation but RONR (11th ed.), p.435, ll. 4-8 states “A nominating committee is automatically discharged when its report is formally presented to the assembly, although if one of the nominees withdraws before the election, the committee is revived and should meet immediately to agree upon another nomination if there is time.” There was discussion regarding reconvening the nominating committee and the urgency due to time constraints.

And

Per our bylaws, Elections shall be conducted by mail. Voting ballots shall be sent to all voting members on or before the 31st day of May and voting will cease on the 30th day of June. Election of the nominees shall be effected by majority vote of the ballots received by the close of voting date.

1) Do we have time to actually reconvene the nominating committee and still be inline with our bylaws?

2) Is there allowance from RRO to take more time to open it back up to the the membership for nominees or does the nominating committee only have the power to fill that position on the slate?

Thanks in advance,

Karen Keller

1) Unless I'm misreading the question, it's not a parliamentary question. It's purely the practical question of whether you can get the job done in, um, twenty days now. (I think as far as Robert's Rules is concerned, that includes nights and weekends, but now I'm trying to elicit a smile, not directly answer the question.)

2) I think you're worrying too much, unless someone is saying that no more nominations are allowed. What Robert's Rules writes about (for example, what you, Ms Keller, see on p. 435) occurs during meetings. What people write or phone each other about, between meetings, is not restricted. And you do see, later on p. 435, that more nominations are allowed -- in fact, that more nominations are REQUIRED to be allowed -- yes?

Archived