The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Charges Pending

RICKSR

Our President and some of the executive/board members were brought up on charges per our by laws for violating them by spending money/Club Funds without the consent of the membership which clearly states in our By-Laws. It needs to do so if it exceeds a certain amount which was clearly exceeded. These charges are currently pending and will be brought up at a regular or special meeting to determine if they should be disciplined as per our by laws which clearly states that any officer can be impeached for abuse of his or her authority or misconduct. My quesion is as follows. From the time the charges are imposed/charged till they are disposed of should the officers step aside and not be allowed to preside in there position's? I thought i remember it being said that anyone who has pending charges against them is considered under Arrest and can not function in there elected position till the matter is decided and disposed of per Roberts Rules? Please let me know if this is true. Thank You for your time.

I thought i remember it being said that anyone who has pending charges against them is considered under Arrest and can not function in there elected position till the matter is decided and disposed of per Roberts Rules? Please let me know if this is true.

It's not.

Read Chapter Twenty of RONR, "Disciplinary Procedures," right now. Carefully. And not just you, Original Poster RICKSR, but a few of you, because it's intense -- as it should be.

Note that everything that RONR says can only supplement, and never contradict, what your organization's own bylaws say about discipline. (Look at the top of RONR, 11th Ed., p. 459, but maybe not only there. I have to re-read the chapter, and for sure, so should you.)

top of RONR, 11th Ed., p. 459Can anyone please paste and send me a copy of such as i do not have a book handy and have to be at a meeting very shortly in regard to this subject. Thanks,Rick Sr., >Chapter Twenty of RONR, "Disciplinary Procedures," Also

You're requesting a cut and paste of Ch. XX? I don't think anyone is likely to oblige.

Given your previous posts about this situation, I for one assume that you have acquired a copy of RONR 11th edition by now, and can read Ch. XX at your leisure. If you have questions during or after reading, feel free to ask.

The top of p. 459 is part of the section on the duties of the secretary, as Mr. Foulkes mentioned, and doesn't seem particularly relevant.

I've also been under the impression that, regarding the snippet found on p. 657 ll. 5-6, if the bylaws prescribe a disciplinary procedure (even one not as fully developed as presented in RONR) with regard to charges and trial, the rules and procedures found in RONR are not applicable, especially with the typical language found in the article on parliamentary authority (i.e. "where not inconsistent with these bylaws", or some such language).

Archived