The Official RONR Q & A Forums

president

Guest pam

can a prieident stop a meeting just because he does not like the qestions, the tone or because the person being questioned is his friend

No rule in RONR gives him that authority. But it sounds like there was more going on than you have told us. It may be that there was something occurring that needed some attention/control, and the president may have been proper to stop whatever that was. More details would help.

can a president stop a meeting just because he does not like the questions, the tone or because the person being questioned is his friend

Of course not. But you probably already knew that.

More details would help.

. . . would help . . . your post count?

Oh goodness нет, no offense taken. I regret being unable to locate a relevant Wiki or YouTube link to include, just to make it more apropos. <smiley face inserted here>

However, I still think we might find a different situation if we could scratch below the very superficial surface of what we've been presented in this thread so far. I hope Pam returns, and is able to navigate the Gu4rD1an at the G4tƎ again.

Guest Janet Williams

New Question.

Is a President's and Vice President's report available to the members to read after a motion to table that report?

and, Are reports to be written in a specific format as they are to be public record, available to the members to read?

When a President's and vice president's report are tabled by motion of a shop steward, and the member who objects is verbally agressively put down by the president,(who did not even bring the report to the meeting, such was his confidence in not reading that report to the members), not to mention the fact that, this report covered a strike period. That this happened so quickly, and those involved in the motion, all executive.

Now, I have been of the understanding that I can view the monthly reports of the Executive.

So, I requested to come to the Union office to read these reports. I ws told by the President that I could not, that the information in the reports was private, which is strange, as he reads them out aloud in a meeting. And, in a telephone call, the president informs me that he doesn't actually tell us what he really writes in his report, but, re-words, paraphrases!

I would appreciate your insights on Rob's Rules for these questions.

Thankyou

Janet Williams

Guest Janet Williams

New Topic...

Is a President's and Vice President's report available to the members to read after a motion to table that report?

and, Are reports to be written in a specific format as they are to be public record, available to the members to read?

When a President's and vice president's report are tabled by motion of a shop steward, and the member who objects is verbally agressively put down by the president,(who did not even bring the report to the meeting, such was his confidence in not reading that report to the members), not to mention the fact that, this report covered a strike period. That this happened so quickly, and those involved in the motion, all executive.

Now, I have been of the understanding that I can view the monthly reports of the Executive.

So, I requested to come to the Union office to read these reports. I ws told by the President that I could not, that the information in the reports was private, which is strange, as he reads them out aloud in a meeting. And, in a telephone call, the president informs me that he doesn't actually tell us what he really writes in his report, but, re-words, paraphrases!

I would appreciate your insights on Rob's Rules for these questions.

Thankyou

Janet Williams

New Question.

Then please re-post as a new topic.

New Topic...

:lol: Gotta give it to you Guest_Janet. But what Edgar meant was to start a new posting altogether (not just call it something different) rather than add your question(s) to an already existing question posted by someone else. That way, the answers to your question(s) can be kept separate from those for Guest_Pam's question.

If you go to the main page of the General Discussion forum by clicking here, you'll see over at the right side a black button which says Start New Topic. That's what you want to do.

===============================

And she did it!

Hi again, didn't mean to be so fague,

Let me try and explain better, when at union meetings they get heated sometime right.

A member asked a question(s) to a board member. (member was questioning the performance of their duties)

The board member didn't like the tone and felt they were being attacted and disrespected.

However, the president and the other board member are friends.

So our president bangs the gaveal and stops the meeting and saids "meeting is over, and that means shut up". But other members felt and feel we have the right to question the perfomance of the board members if they thank they are not doing what they should and want to know why.

So my question is, can the president stop a meeting this way because the other board member doesn't like the questioning? I thought the board is supposed to be held accountable to the memebers? I myself didn't think the member was out of line but was just rather point blank.

p.s. no spell check?

Nothing in RONR grants the President the authority to stop the meeting unilaterally except in the case of fire or riot where it would be too dangerous to take the time to adopt a motion to Adjourn (there wasn't a mob of people holding baseball bats or flamethrowers right?). If the President didn't like how the meeting was going he is free to leave and the VP would take over and the meeting would continue on merrily (though I would make sure that removing the President from office for dereliction would be top on our list of things to do).

Archived