The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President /vice President monthly reports

Guest Janet Williams

Guest Janet Williams

Is a President's and Vice President's report available to the members to read after a motion to table that report?

and, Are reports to be written in a specific format as they are to be public record, available to the members to read?

When a President's and vice president's report are tabled by motion of a shop steward, and the member who objects is verbally agressively put down by the president,(who did not even bring the report to the meeting, such was his confidence in not reading that report to the members), not to mention the fact that, this report covered a strike period. That this happened so quickly, and those involved in the motion, all executive.

Now, I have been of the understanding that I can view the monthly reports of the Executive.

So, I requested to come to the Union office to read these reports. I ws told by the President that I could not, that the information in the reports was private, which is strange, as he reads them out aloud in a meeting. And, in a telephone call, the president informs me that he doesn't actually tell us what he really writes in his report, but, re-words, paraphrases!

I would appreciate your insights on Rob's Rules for these questions.

Thankyou

Is a President's and Vice President's report available to the members to read after a motion to table that report?

and, Are reports to be written in a specific format as they are to be public record, available to the members to read?

When a President's and vice president's report are tabled by motion of a shop steward, and the member who objects is verbally agressively put down by the president,(who did not even bring the report to the meeting, such was his confidence in not reading that report to the members), not to mention the fact that, this report covered a strike period. That this happened so quickly, and those involved in the motion, all executive.

Now, I have been of the understanding that I can view the monthly reports of the Executive.

So, I requested to come to the Union office to read these reports. I ws told by the President that I could not, that the information in the reports was private, which is strange, as he reads them out aloud in a meeting. And, in a telephone call, the president informs me that he doesn't actually tell us what he really writes in his report, but, re-words, paraphrases!

I would appreciate your insights on Rob's Rules for these questions.

Thankyou

What body was the report presented to (what body was meeting when the report was, inappropriately, 'tabled')? Are you a member of that body?

What did the group think it was accomplishing in 'tabling' the report?

If these written reports are normally handed to the secretary to be filed, then I think access to those written records would fall under the rules on p. 460 (RONR 11th ed.).

If you can answer some of the above questions, it may be possible to give you a clearer answer as to how 'Rob's Rules' :) apply to the situation.

Archived