The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meeting Minutes

Guest Michelle

I'm in education. The Chair of our department wants me to put into the Minutes a decision she made two days following the meeting. I feel this should not be in the Minutes but an Addendum to the Minutes. I'm not sure how to write it. Is it a separate sheet of paper? Can it be added at the end of the Minutes after/before the signature? Also, if I am forced to place this discussion within the Minutes, is it acceptable to sign my name following a statement to the effect "Submitted per Department Chair"?

Minutes should show ONLY what was decided/acted upon/&c. AT a meeting. Nothing else. Not even as an "addendum".

Whatever the Chair is deciding after the meeting is her business (unless her decision exceeds her authority as Dept chair - then you take that problem up next meeting).

If the Dept. Chair wants an "official" department statement of what was "her" (private) decision, then she can propose the adoption of her position at your next meeting. That would then go in the minutes, along with the other decisions at that meeting.

See RONR, pp. 468 ff.

Archived