The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rogue committee members

Guest Deborah

We are an "Ad Hoc" committee. The committee and its members are appointed by the

HOA board. We discuss recommendations, agree to and on more serious matters vote.

We have had this happen three times where the committee has met and all of the members

present have agreed to some decisions. The decisions have been documented in the minutes.

For example, we had just about completed a large landscape, irrigation and hardscape project. We had a surprise. The exterior natal plum

plants were much smaller than expected and they did not act as a barrier to our problem of having dogs going to the bathroom in our gardens.

To increase the size of the plants would have been an additional $9K which would put us over budget.

So, all committee members agreed in the meeting to a low cost temporary fence solution to protect the plants from dogs for about six months until they could reach a good density. Within two days of the meeting, two committee members started speaking to the board privately and then it was revealed that they objected to buying any fence at all to protect our investment. They did not offer an alternative solution. The dissenting opinions came out in fiercely negative emails. This has happened three times. We meet and make decisions and these two people create absolute confusion and anarchy. They start sending emails to the board as well as all of the committee members. As Chair, I have requested that we table a discussion with the board on committee meeting conduct as it relates to voting. I am also going to propose to the committee that we ask the question in the meeting, "do we have any objections" and document the decision. As well, I am going to discuss with the committee the objective of finalizing the minutes and sending them to the board in 48 hours. But, what are the rules when it comes to these "rogue" committee members?

Thank you.

If your "rogue" members want to lobby privately against the committee's decisions, RONR can't stop them. Anybody can send e-mails to anybody else. Including me.

Your committee should make it's recommendations (arrived at by majority decision) to the parent body. That will be the end of your work. It will then be up to the parent body to act, or not, as it sees fit.

Archived