The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Conflict of Interest

Mark41

I is it a conflict to be an officer in two seperate clubs? In one club to be president, and in the other just a trustee. I personally say no, but want insight from those who know the rules better.

There is no rule in RONR that would prohibit this.

RONR uses the term "conflict of interest" once, in the index, which leads to a page that does not contain the term. In other words, RONR doesn't deal with conflicts of interest.

Just wondering what he might conceive a conflict to be, if the issue were pressed.

But he was asking about a very specific situation, not ruminating, in general, on the nature of conflicts of interest. I would hope he'd wisely leave that to those of us with nothing better to do.

Unless one of the organizations has a By-law restriction about serving on a Board of another organization there is nothing wrong with this and is certainly not a conflict of interest unless one organization is going to sign a contract with the other one. Even then, unless the member is going to personally benefit from the contract being signed there is no conflict.

Unless one of the organizations has a By-law restriction about serving on a Board of another organization there is nothing wrong with this

Care should be taken to preserve the distinction between being an officer and being on the executive board, since it is certainly possible to be one without being the other.

and is certainly not a conflict of interest unless one organization is going to sign a contract with the other one. Even then, unless the member is going to personally benefit from the contract being signed there is no conflict.

As previously mentioned, RONR does not define "conflict of interest."

Archived