The Official RONR Q & A Forums

No Meetings

Guest Knowledge Base

Guest Knowledge Base

Not sure this is the right place, but I need to start somewhere. If this isn't the right place, please just let me know.

Many, many years ago, I became a volunteer at the local rescue service. That organization is governed by Robert's Rules of Order. Or it was.

Over the course of time, the organization has become more of a combination dept, in that it has some paid and volunteer members. There has been no movement to change the organizations structure whereas officers are concerned.

My issue is that this organization has not had meetings in more than two years. There have been no election of officers. The officers elected more than two years ago continue to represent themselves as office holders.

I can't believe an oganization can function in this matter. Is there recourse a member can take to rectify this issue? Where would I start?

Do the bylaws require regularly called meetings? If they do then you should bring that fact to the attention of the officers and "strongly request" they follow the bylaws (I would say insist but you know what they say about flies, honey, and vinegar). If you think you are going to encounter resistance you might want to have several of the members backing you up. If they refuse to call a meeting or there is no requirement to hold regular meetings I would suggest you check the bylaws to determine if they provide for calling Special Meetings and if so call one. If the bylaws don't provide for Special Meetings, or you can't meet the requirements for calling one, or you are able to meet the requirements but the officers refuse to call one I would recommend you check to see if the organization is subordinate to another higher ranking rescue service who can force them to comply with their own rules.

Guest Knowledge Base

Thank you for the feedback.

The bylaws do specify the meeting schedule - 2nd Tues of each month at 7pm.

I will check to see if there is any mention of a special meeting and if so, how to proceed with getting one scheduled.

Thanks for all your comments.

The bylaws do specify the meeting schedule - 2nd Tues of each month at 7pm.

I will check to see if there is any mention of a special meeting and if so, how to proceed with getting one scheduled.

No need to mess with calling a special meeting. Just get enough members (a quorum) to show up on June 12th and start doing things by the book.

And check those bylaws for term limits, and the term of office. It may be that the officers are no longer officers (term limit exceeded), or that their terms are (or would be) up if an election were held and other officers elected to take their places.

Whatever is in your bylaws, we won't be able to interpret them here for you on this forum, but==

===========================================================================\/

Do the bylaws require regularly called meetings?

Chris, lately, I've noticed the word "called" slipping into some of your sentences a little too freely. For clarity, the distinction between a regular meeting and a called meeting should be maintained, the latter being a special meeting. RONR(11th ed.), p. 91, l. 28.

Archived