The Official RONR Q & A Forums

items presented during meeting

Guest John

Is the Chairman of the meeting "required" to allow items be presented to the board during a meeting by board members or members of the public?

Members of the public? (which is another way of saying "non-members") No.

Members of the board? What sort of "items" are we talking about? Items for sale (e.g. a used toaster)?

Baring any special rules of your association that might require advance notice, any topic (within the objects of the association) may be "brought up", commonly in the form of a motion, under new business.

The (hidden) moral of this statement is "Go to your association's meetings -- there is no telling what might come up for action or a decision".

Is the Chairman of the meeting "required" to allow items be presented to the board during a meeting by board members or members of the public?

If you're talking about refusing to allow certain motions (motions made by members of the board) to come before the body, the chair can't arbitrarily decide what to allow and what not to allow. There are rules to follow.

As Edgar asked, what sort of items are we talking about?

A couple of examples....

1. Say the Chairman of the Planning Commission, is he required to accept revisions of Plans at a voting meeting even though there is an established cut off date for submittals to be on the agenda.

2. Is the Mayor required to accept into public record petitions, or studies or displays from the Aldermen of the Board or citizens at the meeting.

Can a union election be conducted by using paper ballots??? I've been a union member for nearly 22 years and have always used the voting machine when voting on contracts and union elections. Using the voting machine has been a past practice of the union, even before I became a union member. The union suddenly decides to go with a paper ballot vote instead of the traditional machine vote. Can they do this???

A couple of examples....

1. Say the Chairman of the Planning Commission, is he required to accept revisions of Plans at a voting meeting even though there is an established cut off date for submittals to be on the agenda.

2. Is the Mayor required to accept into public record petitions, or studies or displays from the Aldermen of the Board or citizens at the meeting.

I see that we are talking about a public (legal) body of some sort. I suspect what ever the Planning Chairman or Mayor are "required" to accept, or otherwise, is covered by your local ordinances. Ask your community's lawyer what the rules are. Your rules will supersede whatever RONR has to say on the subject.

Archived