The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President supporting a nominee

Roberto

I belong to a community organization and next month will be voting for board members. The president has contacted me that he (and he said personally) supports one of the candidates. Can he do this? I was already planning to vote for this candidate and don't really see anything wrong with what he's doing. Besides both being members of this organization, we're also friends. It seems to me he's a member too and can support anyone he wants but I'm just not sure.

No rule in RONR prohibits it. And what's wrong with the president having a preference for a candidate and telling a friend? Happens every four years in this country! :) Of course, at the election meeting, the president needs to maintain his impartiality and keep his preferences to himself until the ballots are handed out.

"...until the ballots are handed out."

Or more exactly, until the ballots are all cast.

Or most exactly, at all times while presiding under the formal rules... except to the extent that the rules allow him or require him to make his preferences known, such as when appointing a committee, or electing to accept only amendments to the words being struck out before accepting amendments to the words being inserted, etc. :-)

Archived