The Official RONR Q & A Forums

majority needed to pass a motion

Guest Mike Smith

Science is inquiry based on fact, not on public opinion polls. Believe what you want on faith, but do not attempt to teach superstition to my kids, or demand that I teach nonsense to my students.

Amen!

Well, once again it would seem that Guest_Edgar and I are in total agreement (although probably from opposite ends), so we'll have to leave it at that.

It is also a bit insulting to pretend that those who do not subscribe to the theory of evolution in any form (who are, according to the polls, nearly half of the U.S. population, including more than one-fifth of those holding postgraduate degrees) exist beyond the pale of valid discourse.

Scientific validity has absolutely nothing to do with popularity polls or the vote of popular opinion. This is a perfect illustration of the problem I referred to earlier -- the idea that there must be two equally valid sides to a number of debates in the realm of science, and that the two 'sides' have equal weight simply because the media give the two sides equal time, or because the general public is divided in its opinions.

You are correct that the "debate" is purely in the realm of religion and philosophy, because scientifically, evolution is as close as one can get to settled fact. It is arguably the most thoroughly proven theory in all of science, slightly surpassing the law of gravity.

Call me naive, but I think the those who paint science as other than rational inquiry are the ones doing the insulting. Science is inquiry based on fact, not on public opinion polls. Believe what you want on faith, but do not attempt to teach superstition to my kids, or demand that I teach nonsense to my students.

G. Novosielski

Science educator

I agree with this 100%, and could not say it better.

I didn't say the two sides have equal weight (they certainly don't in my view), but I did say, several hours ago, "we'll have to leave it at that."

I'm sorry. You would have done better (post #21) to express the perfectly valid opinion that the evolution vs. intelligent design discussion has no place on this RONR forum. The comment that you chose instead cannot simply be left there without rebuttal.

Archived