The Official RONR Q & A Forums

voice vote by acclimation

Guest gordon d tresch

Is it ok to mention that a voice vote and being declared elected (acclamation) are two different things, especially in light of the fact that the first one is improper for elections even when a ballot vote is not required?

Yes, the only "voice" in the case of election by acclamation should be that of the chair.

Is it ok to mention that a voice vote and being declared elected (acclamation) are two different things, especially in light of the fact that the first one is improper for elections even when a ballot vote is not required?

I'm not sure why you say that voice vote elections are "improper." RONR doesn't say that. It specifically defines them on pg. 442, l. 10 - pg. 443, l. 6. It then goes on to say that if only one person is nominated, a voice vote is not taken. But not that voice vote elections themselves are improper.

I'm not sure why you say that voice vote elections are "improper." RONR doesn't say that. It specifically defines them on pg. 442, l. 10 - pg. 443, l. 6. It then goes on to say that if only one person is nominated, a voice vote is not taken. But not that voice vote elections themselves are improper.

See the initial facts. I altered the facts to address when one nominee exists and a ballot is not required. The author's list of significant changes says "Establishes that acclamation is the required procedure when there is only one nominee and the bylaws do not require a ballot vote [443, 494]."

So they are improper with one nominee and no ballot being ordered or required.

Archived