The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Demanding Access to Financial Records Held by Treasurer

dbclarke

Sometimes it occurs that a President or other board member questions the quality and accuracy of bookkeeping by a treasurer and the regular (monthy and/or yearly) financial report is spotty, at best.

Assuming there is nothing in the Constitution or bylaws about this, does the President (or any member, for that matter) have the right to demand to see the all financial records, including the check book, DEBIT CARD statements, receipts,, etc. If so, undoubtedly proper notice would be required -- I'm guessing 2 weeks.

Forgive me for not being about to look up in RONR ritht now -- I just bought the 11th edition plus a new "in brief" and then promptly moved last weekend, so they are somewhere in my 1, 843 boxes of stuff (OK, perhaps a slight exaggeration.

Thanks!

Dave

Nothing in your boxed-books gives the President, or anybody else, the right to "demand" access to the financial material.

I suppose the assembly could (majority vote) tell the Treasurer to produce the material.

Do your bylaws speak to an audit, annual, or on request of the Board. That would be another avenue to check out.

Nothing in your boxed-books gives the President, or anybody else, the right to "demand" access to the financial material.

I suppose the assembly could (majority vote) tell Treasurer to produce the material.

Do your bylaws speak to an audit, annual, or on request of the Board. That would be another avenue to check out.

Unfortunately, the constitution and bylaws speak nothing about an audit of any type at any time. In fact, they do not mention any monthly or even yearly report from the treasurer.

I am guessing that the only way to look at the books of the treasurer (assuming reluctance on his/her part) is, as you say, to pass a motion of the membership requiring it. An amendment to the constittution and bylaws setting up audit requirements and guidelines would probably be nice, too...

Dave

Archived