The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations from the floor

Guest LauraR

Next month we will have board elections and I can't figure out whether nominations from the floor are allowed. Nominations are by a nominating committee and the election is by ballot. Our bylaws say nothing about nominations from the floor.

Next month we will have board elections and I can't figure out whether nominations from the floor are allowed. Nominations are by a nominating committee and the election is by ballot. Our bylaws say nothing about nominations from the floor.

If nothing in your governing rules precludes them, floor nominations are "allowed" under RONR. After the nominating committee reports, the chair then calls for nominations from the floor. (Citation will likely follow from others, as I am sans livre at the moment)

If nothing in your governing rules precludes them, floor nominations are "allowed" under RONR.

I think "allowed" is too weak when RONR says that the chair "must" call for further nominations from the floor. And, while we're on the subject, let's not forget about providing space on the ballot for write-in votes.

Not to mention space for writing in those possible floor nominations.

I suppose, on a pre-printed ballot (printed with the NomCom's proposals and some empty spaces), there would be no way for the tellers to distinguish between written in floor nominations (with an X to show which ones were being voted for) and true (un-nominated) write-in votes (which also had better have an X if the writer-in wants to make it crystal clear who he is voting for).

Doesn't really make a difference, anyway -- a vote is a vote.

Archived