The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Stand-ins

Guest craig

First admission, I have not yet read or consulted Robert's Rules of Order.

I'm on the Board of a newly formed entity and for the first two Board calls the participation of "stand-ins" has been permitted when the Board member could not attend. Is this a permissable activity and if so why, and if not why not?

Thanks very much.

Craig

A person is either a member of the board or is not. RONR has no such role as "stand-n". The closest thing to that would be a "proxy" but firstly, this would not qualify, and secondly even if it did, RONR prohibits the use of proxies to the fullest extent possible under the law.

So unless you can find something in your bylaws about "stand-ins" this is completely improper, and any decisions reached on the bases of votes by "stand-ins" are null and void.

First admission, I have not yet read or consulted Robert's Rules of Order.

Your (continued) honesty will serve you and your organization well, but even more so if you get hands on a book or two. The first is Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised - In Brief (2nd Edition) and will present an easy-to-read guide to the best of the basics. A must read. Then, you graduate to The Right Book, the 11th Edition.

Next, register as a member here at the forum (and bypass that Captcha code screen) and get all your questions answered. It's that simple!! :)

Archived