The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignations

Guest Newbie101

Our Treasurer tendered his resignation to our President 3 months ago because he felt he did not have the financial controls in place to be responsible for the groups monies. The President brokered a deal with the Treasurer and the other Director involved. The Treasurer then presented with Board with a procedure he wrote, brokered by the President and the Vice President, to keep the Board intact, and the Board accepted the new procedure unanimously. There was no motion. The Treasurer did not ask for the resignation letter back and the President kept it. None of the backroom negotiations with those four Board members was ever divulged to the remainder of the Board. Now the President is unhappy with the Treasurer for new reasons, and he announced at the last Board meeting, when the Treasurer was absent, that he was accepting the Treasurer’s resignation, as of that date. The Board went into executive session and unanimously agreed to table the entire discussion of the changes the Treasurer wanted to implement and the Treasurer’s previous resignation letter until the next Board meeting when the Treasurer would be back in town. Later the same day the President emailed the Treasurer telling him that the President accepted his resignation letter effective immediately, in direct contravention to the agreement reached by the entire Board, including the President, earlier that day. The President did not copy the Board on this email. Rather he emailed the Board the next day and advised the Board of his unilateral action. My only question at this time is: Is the March resignation letter still valid, even though the President welcomed everybody back at the next Board meeting (March) and the Treasurer continued performing his responsibilities for another four months? If the resignation letter is still valid, isn’t the entire Board supposed to vote on it?

Thanks - I think your right - he need to go. Our bylaws say to recall the president, a vote of the board with a 3/4 majority is needed and a separate vote of the membership with a simple majority. My questions now are: is he no longer president after the board's recall vote? Does the Pres-elect take over immediately? Or do we have to wait until after the membership votes?

... Our bylaws say to recall the president, a vote of the board with a 3/4 majority is needed and a separate vote of the membership with a simple majority. My questions now are: is he no longer president after the board's recall vote? Does the Pres-elect take over immediately? Or do we have to wait until after the membership votes?

If your bylaws say that, to be wearing a suit, he has to be wearing a jacket and its associated pair of pants, and if he is not wearing pants, then is he wearing a suit?

(7 tries)

Archived