The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President cancelled meeting

Guest John

Hi all, though one here.

OK, president of our organization (fraternal) had an emergency drs visit that he had to make. He called his officers only to find that the VP, Treas, and Chaplain would also not be there. Only the Secretary could make the meeting. So the Pres. decided to cancell the meeting for this month.

1.Under meetings in the by laws: Meetings shall be held monthly on the3rd wed of the month.

2. Under other; In all other instances not coverd by our by laws, Robert Rules of Order shall govern.

3. A quorum consist of 15 members, no mention of officers at all.

So my take is, that this is a grey area. It doesn't say the Pres CAN cancell, but it doesn's say that the Pres CANNOT cancell the meeting.

And I do not see anything in Roberts.

any advice

John

So my take is, that this is a grey area. It doesn't say the Pres CAN cancel, but it doesn't say that the Pres CANNOT cancel the meeting.

It's not a grey area. It's black and white. No one can cancel a meeting. So go ahead and meet as scheduled (and required) by your bylaws.

Your president will just have to get over the fact that he's not indispensable.

If the President does not have the specific (and I mean SPECIFIC) right to cancel a meeting then the President does not have this right. The President only has the rights given to him in the By-laws. As such the meeting could not be cancelled.

As for quorum, if the officers are members of the Board then they count as "members" in determining quorum.

It's not a grey area. It's black and white. No one can cancel a meeting. So go ahead and meet as scheduled (and required) by your bylaws.

Your president will just have to get over the fact that he's not indispensable.

Third Wednesday (of this month) has already gone by. Other than that, I agree -- no one can cancel a meeting, unless that authority is specifically stated in the bylaws.

Third Wednesday (of this month) has already gone by.

Well, then I guess the president DID cancel the meeting. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if he tries to do it again. Perhaps a little pre-emptive re-education is in order? Maybe a year on a parliamentary commune in central China cracking walnuts with a gavel?

Archived