The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President resigning what is the line of succession.

Guest Howard Mac Donald

Guest Howard Mac Donald

The president of the fire company resigned . Our by-laws say that the vice president assumes the duties of the president. Is it necessary to elect a new president at the next meeting or is it necessary to elect a new vice president.

The president of the fire company resigned . Our by-laws say that the vice president assumes the duties of the president. Is it necessary to elect a new president at the next meeting or is it necessary to elect a new vice president.

The language of your bylaws will govern.

Under RONR, the vice-president automatically becomes president in the event of a vacancy in the office of the president, and this creates a vacancy in the office of the vice-president. However, as I mentioned, since your bylaws address the issue, they may say something different, and they supersede RONR.

Generally speaking, you'd need to elect a new vice-president.

But note that the RONR rule (which may be different from yours) is that the vice-president becomes the president (not merely "assumes the duties of"). I suppose one could argue (I'm not!) that your vice-president is still the vice-president and only assumes the duties of president until a new president is elected.

Archived