The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Time Limitations on public speaking at local Council Meetings

Guest Richard Gober

Guest Richard Gober

Our local governemtnt has just put in place a 3 minute maximum time that a resident may speak for at our local Council / Commissioner's meetings. I would like to know if another resident may relinquish their 3 minutes to the resident who is currently speaking and whose time has expired?

Our local governemtnt has just put in place a 3 minute maximum time that a resident may speak for at our local Council / Commissioner's meetings. I would like to know if another resident may relinquish their 3 minutes to the resident who is currently speaking and whose time has expired?

This is a rule specific to the council; it's not a rule from RONR. You should make this inquiry in the meeting.

I would like to know if another resident may relinquish their 3 minutes to the resident who is currently speaking and whose time has expired?

As others have noted, you'll have to figure out what your own rules permit or prohibit but, for what it's worth, RONR says that speaking time in debate is not transferable (p. 388).

Archived