The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting rights of interim board positions

Guest mhale

Does an interim Sec and Treas have the same voting rights as a Sec and Treas on the board?

If they're board members they have all the rights of board members. If they're not, they don't. RONR does not address the issue of "second-class" membership so I'm afraid you're going to have to figure this one out for yourselves.

Hmmm, RONR doesn't define or deal with "interim" positions. A position is either vacant or someone is identified as being in the position.

So you would have to look to your bylaws to see if they define what is meant (in terms of voting rights, &c.) by an interim position holder. If they don't, then chances are the "interim" person has no rights at all with respect to the Board.

(Edgar types faster than I do, but we appear to agree.)

So you would have to look to your bylaws to see if they define what is meant (in terms of voting rights, &c.) by an interim position holder.If they don't, then chances are the "interim" person has no rights at all with respect to the Board.

(Edgar types faster than I do, but we appear to agree.)

I hope I'm not just being contrarian but I'm inclined to say that, unless the bylaws say otherwise, interim officers are as much officers as "permanent" officers (in the way that, say, ex-officio officers are). They merely hold the office until some other event (e.g. the next regular elections) takes place.

But I certainly agree with Mr. Stackpole that it's up to this organization to figure out.

But I certainly agree with Mr. Stackpole that it's up to this organization to figure out.

And my answer assumes that these interim positions are official and not just members who have volunteered to assume the duties of offices that are, in fact, vacant.

For what it may be worth, the word "interim" appears in RONR exactly once (in those 768 pages) and then only as a modifier to "report". Kindle location 8856; p. 461.

Certainly there is NO indication that "interim office holders" are in any way "official". But the association might define "interim" in a way that they become "official". Or not.

Certainly there is NO indication that "interim office holders" are in any way "official".

But, at the risk of belaboring the point, there's no indication that they're not. And I think, at least for now, I'm sticking with the theory that changing (or adding) an adjective doesn't necessarily alter the essence of the noun.

So you might say, "They're only interim officers", and I would say, "But they're officers". Assuming, of course, that they are.

Does an interim Sec and Treas have the same voting rights as a Sec and Treas on the board?

Do you have an actual Secretary and Treasurer now? Or, were these offices vacated in some fashion, and these people who are assuming the duties of those offices merely doing so until an official process (vacancy filling, election, appointment, etc) puts persons in those positions to complete the terms? And if so, how were these "interim" officers placed into position (vacancy filling, election, appointment, giving them a fancy title, etc)?

If these interim officers were not in fact actually placed on the Board (vacancy filling, election, appointment, etc), and are merely "helping out", then they have no rights as Board members. Giving them the unofficial title of interim officers is meaningless. Are they board members, or aren't they?

When the necessary details are given, the answer to this question is much more clear than the responses to this thread might make one believe.

If these parliamentarians got a healthy look at your rules and an earful of the current situation looming in your organization, I'm confident they would all arrive at the same conclusion.

However, I'm just sleepy enough to be enjoying a peaceful haze of optimism.

Archived