The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Must a motion to rescind be made by a member who voted against the original motion?

Guest Sheila

A motion was made and passed unanimously. Now a member has changed their mind and wants to rescind the motion. No notice was made, and so I realize they would need a 2/3 vote, but I have also read that such a motion can only be made by someone who was originally against it.

I'm not sure where you believe you have read this, but it is incorrect. Any person with the right to make a motion at a later time may move to rescind the motion as long as the motion hasn't been fully executed (carried-out).

<edited to add:> and if action is necessary at the same meeting, perhaps it would be easier to move the reconsideration of the motion that was adopted, in the first place.

A motion was made and passed unanimously. Now a member has changed their mind and wants to rescind the motion. No notice was made, and so I realize they would need a 2/3 vote, but I have also read that such a motion can only be made by someone who was originally against it.

It can be made by any member.

The restriction that you mentioned is an inaccurate version of a rule that relates to a different motion: Reconsider.

<edited to add:> and if action is necessary at the same meeting, perhaps it would be easier to move the reconsideration of the motion that was adopted, in the first place.

In which case, only a member who voted on the prevailing side could move it, but in this instance that is still anybody, because everyone voted on the prevailing side.

Archived