The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Disruptive crowd

Ludloe Bushmac

You could raise a Point of Order that the nonmembers are disturbing the assembly and the Chair would then rule on it (and the ruling can be Appealed by a member). However, you might want to check with the other members to make sure that they are being annoyed as well and it isn't just you (or a few).

Sometimes during our county commission the spectators will applaude or act out by talking to each other. Our chairman is hesitant to correct them. As a commissioner, is there a statement or phrase I could use to promote our chairman to get the meeting back in order?

"A society has the right to determine who may be present at its meetings and to control its hall while meetings are in progress...." (RONR 11th ed. p. 644 ll. 22-24) "All persons present at a meeting have an obligation to obey the legitimate orders of the presiding officer." (RONR 11th ed., p. 645 ll. 4-5)

If enough members are being disturbed by the rabblerousers, they should make that known to the chair. Your chairman should address the issue. You mention "county commission" which sounds like it could be a sort of public agency at which the public (i.e. nonmembers) is allowed to attend. That doesn't mean they should be disruptive, though people being people that is often in their nature.

Sometimes during our county commission the spectators will applaude or act out by talking to each other. Our chairman is hesitant to correct them. As a commissioner, is there a statement or phrase I could use to promote our chairman to get the meeting back in order?

You should discuss this with the chair, outside the meeting, other than throwing it at him while he's presiding. Also, you may want to speak to the council's council (attorney) about this to make sure you proceed within your rights and without stepping on the legal toes of others.

Archived