The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Written Statements Used at a General Meeting

Guest Inquiring Mind

Guest Inquiring Mind

If a board presiding at a general membership meeting uses prepared, written statements which are then read in their entirety to the assembly, are those written statements required to be included in the minutes? I did not find any guidance in my 11th ed of RONR.

Thank you in advance for your help.

If a board presiding at a general membership meeting uses prepared, written statements which are then read in their entirety to the assembly, are those written statements required to be included in the minutes? I did not find any guidance in my 11th ed of RONR.

Thank you in advance for your help.

A board should not be presiding. There should be one individual in the chair.

The minutes should contain what is done, not what is said. It is common for presiding officers to use scripts, but the content of the script should not be treated as an official document or report.

If, on the other hand, you are referring to the report of the board, that report should be placed on file, with a paragraph in the minutes indicating that it was received and placed on file.

what if they brought an attorney? can the board allow the attorney to preside?

The assembly is in charge of its own meeting. If you have a president, he should be presiding, unless the bylaws say otherwise.

A person's status as an attorney makes no difference, from a parliamentary perspective (sorry Dan).

If the assembly has no presiding officer, it can elect a temporary one and should do so immediately after the meeting is called to order.

Archived