The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Moderator Asked To Leave

Guest Tom Fleming

I am a pastor of a church and, as written in the by-laws, I am the moderator of all business meetings. We had a special called business meeting. A motion was made by our finance team. Of course, no second was needed. A question was raised, and subsequently answered. Then, a member sttood and asked that I be excused. I didn't have a problem with her addressing the congreation in my absence, so I left. What is the procedure when something like this happens? Thanks.

I am a pastor of a church and, as written in the by-laws, I am the moderator of all business meetings. We had a special called business meeting. A motion was made by our finance team. Of course, no second was needed. A question was raised, and subsequently answered. Then, a member sttood and asked that I be excused. I didn't have a problem with her addressing the congreation in my absence, so I left. What is the procedure when something like this happens? Thanks.

If you're a member, you have a right to attend and cannot be excluded from a meeting, except through disciplinary action.

If you're not a member, you still have a duty to preside, which requires attending the meeting, but the rules can be suspended to take away your authority to preside at all or part of a meeting and you could be excluded from the meeting.

There is no rule that says you have to leave at the request of a member, and I generally wouldn't recommend doing so.

What is the procedure when something like this happens?

If you're asking who should have presided in your absence (and someone should have), the assembly would elect a chair pro tem to serve until you returned. This assumes there is no "vice-moderator" ("vice-pastor"?) to take over while you're away.

Archived