The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Leave of Absence?

Guest Carl Cayhill

I am trying to find out what is the rule about a board member who wishes to take a leave of absence for a month to deal with personal issues? Are they able to resume their position after a month or are they required to resign?

There is nothing in our bylaws that state anything about a leave of absence. That is why I am confused about this issue.

There's really nothing to be confused about (easy for me to say). RONR imposes no attendance requirements on members (other than their own sense of duty) so this board member is free to stay away for a week, a month, or a year. Of course he still remains a member while he's gone (until enough people get tired of his dereliction of duty) and he counts (or, well, doesn't count) towards the quorum requirement.

But he's only going to be gone for a month? Unless it's an unusually active board I suspect he won't even be missed.

As for resigning, that's a voluntary act so he can be asked but he's free to say no. Which is what he probably should say.

I am trying to find out what is the rule about a board member who wishes to take a leave of absence for a month to deal with personal issues?

There isn't one.

Are they able to resume their position after a month or are they required to resign?

Well you can't "resume" the position because you can't take a break from it. The board member can either remain on the board but not do anything for a month or he can resign. No one is ever required to resign. If the board is really that concerned about it you can look at FAQ #20 for information on how to remove a board member, but I agree with Edgar that unless this is a very active board I would just wish him the best and welcome him back in a month.

Archived