The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Powers of the Presiding Officer

Guest Darlene

Four members of our city council were recalled leaving three remaining members. One member was appointed to be the Presiding Officer. Can the now Presiding Officer make a motion or second a motion to fill the council vacancies or does it fall on the two remaining council members? Our Charter states that council members, mayor and the presiding officer have the right to vote on any question.

If RONR governs (little pun), your council, at less than a dozen members, should use the "small board" rules. Among these: motions need not be seconded, subjects may be discussed without a motion pending, and the chair is not restricted in debating and voting (RONR, 11th Ed, p. 487 - 488).

(As to the chairman's making motions in small boards, there is a change in the 11th Edition, which is a little less than a year old now, from what the 10th Edition said. I haven't quite absorbed it. So with with very little luck involved, one of the spring shift officers of the Robert's Rules Website Forum (RONR MB) will toodle along shortly, and correct any nuances to which I have done disservice. It seems to suggest that, since a subject can be brought up without formally making a motion in small boards, "informal discussion may be initiated by the chairman himself, which, in effect, enables the chairman to submit his own proposals without formally making a motion ... (although he has the right to make a motion if he wishes). " That wording seems to me to suggest that the chair's avoiding making a motion is a good thing, even on small boards, without outright saying so. Guest_Darlene, what do you think?

(Note also that, as you are a government entity, your city council might have higher rules, which will supersede what RONR says in any area of conflict. Hence my opening pun on "govern," to break the ice, lighten the mood, &c.)

(As to the chairman's making motions in small boards, there is a change in the 11th Edition, which is a little less than a year old now, from what the 10th Edition said. I haven't quite absorbed it. So with with very little luck involved, one of the spring shift officers of the Robert's Rules Website Forum (RONR MB) will toodle along shortly, and correct any nuances to which I have done disservice. It seems to suggest that, since a subject can be brought up without formally making a motion in small boards, "informal discussion may be initiated by the chairman himself, which, in effect, enables the chairman to submit his own proposals without formally making a motion ... (although he has the right to make a motion if he wishes). " That wording seems to me to suggest that the chair's avoiding making a motion is a good thing, even on small boards, without outright saying so.

In view of the fact that, in small boards and in committees, the chairman is under no obligation to maintain an appearance of impartiality, he may make motions as freely as any other member. The second footnote at the bottom of page 488 (RONR, 11th ed.), notes that, in these situations, the chair ordinarily would not use the formal language for the making of a motion as described on pages 33-35, but would simply initiate discussion by making a suggestion, taking advantage of the informal procedures described above on page 488, lines 7-20.

Archived