The Official RONR Q & A Forums

By Laws

Guest JO

Our current by laws give a guide as to when the by laws should be reviewed. Can we review and make changes anytime during the year? The current by law committee has been doing reviews in Jan and making changes at that time. They have also been presenting the changes to the membership at three meetings. The three meeting presentation is not in our by laws. Must we still continue to do three readings?

I have a different question in regards to bylaws. What are the consequences if the church bylaws are not followed? For example, the bylaws state there will be semi-annual meetings, the 2 nd Tuesday in April, and the 2nd Tuesday in October - but the April meetings are not held. Therefore, no report on the financial status of the church. What does this mean in regards to upholding the bylaws.

The main thing it means is that you probably have a congregation that doesn't care very much.

Two choices: Lean hard on, or replace, the officers such that they follow the bylaws -- you could threaten to sue them (bylaws are a form of a contract, my lawyer friends tell me), but that probably would be overkill.

Second choice: Amend the bylaws to reflect the current practices and forgive the officers for their past transgressions.

For example, the bylaws state there will be semi-annual meetings, the 2 nd Tuesday in April, and the 2nd Tuesday in October - but the April meetings are not held.

If the bylaws stipulate a meeting on the 2nd Tuesday in April, then that meeting must be held. As long as a quorum of members shows up, business can be conducted. If the President doesn't attend, the VP should preside. If the VP doesn't attend, the Secretary should call the meeting to order and preside over the election of a Chair pro tem. If the Secretary doesn't attend, any member calls the meeting to order, presides over the election of a Chair pro tem, who then presides over the election of a Secretary pro tem, and you get down to business.

I don't have my Robert's Rules handy, but hopefully someone will come along to provide some citations on this.

And if your leadership fails to serve the membership, take a look at FAQ #20, and give a close read to Chapter XX in RONR (11th Ed.) for how to address.

Archived