The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Access to Information Gathered By Committees

Guest Roy Randolph

When a committee is the repository for data collected to insure compliance with the law, must that committee provide that data to the assembly, in this case a church board, upon request by a board member? At a more general level, can board constituted committees withhold information they collect in performance of their assigned duty from the board at large?

What was the charge to the committee? If this was a committee of the board, as you say, did the committee make its report to the board?

As for your questions, probably 'no' to the request by a single board member, although it is much less likely that the committee can withhold information from the board as a whole.

Also, you may want to look at this earlier thread, particularly the latter part of the thread -- that thread dealt with some related questions:

As a board member the situation I am dealing with is the IRS (Internal Revenue Service) requirement for the minister of a church to report the details of the way he spends the automobile allowance the church provides in order for that allowance to be tax exempt. (IRS requirement stipulated in publication 463.) The minister reports (or may report) the required information to the Finance Committee of our board but I am not a member of the Finance Committee and I have not seen the data. The IRS says the details of the way the allowance is spent (payment on vehicle, miles driven, destinations, etc.) must be reported to the employer, which is the board. As a board member do I have access to the data collected by a committee constituted by the board, in this case the Finance Committee?

As a board member do I have access to the data collected by a committee constituted by the board, in this case the Finance Committee?

You as a single Board member don't have the right under RONR to see the data (though the entire Board probably has the authority to order the data disclosed to them). However, you should check any applicable rules (such as IRS regs) to see if they give you as a single Board member the right to see the data.

Archived