The Official RONR Q & A Forums

decision from a prior board or prior year

Guest Mike

If a decision is made on a motion which had no specific end date, for example:

"Make a motion to donate $500 to XYZ corp."

Is there an assumption that in future years the donation must continue or should there be a new motion each year to continue the $500 to XYZ corp.

The same goes across different boards.

Help!

Is there an assumption that in future years the donation must continue or should there be a new motion each year to continue the $500 to XYZ corp.

I'd make no such assumption but it depends on the precise language of the motion that was adopted. If it authorized "a" donation then I would take that to mean one donation, one time. If it said something like "an annual donation", that would be different.

And it's best not think of "different boards" (e.g. "old" boards and "new" boards). Just think of "the board" which continues to exist despite occasional changes in its composition.

Does a past practice trump not having a motion and vote each year to spend the money? The club I belong to made this motion and vote several years ago. As a new treasurer I am getting pressure to keep making the $500 donation to XYZ corp. even though there was only the one vote.

Does a past practice trump not having a motion and vote each year to spend the money? The club I belong to made this motion and vote several years ago. As a new treasurer I am getting pressure to keep making the $500 donation to XYZ corp. even though there was only the one vote.

There is no pressure. Your orders come from the organization, not from pressure. At the next meeting, make a motion That $500 be donated to XYZ, and the assembly will decide the matter. You can also detail your confusion in a report to the assembly.

Archived