The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How many times must a motion be defeated before it is "dead"

Guest Wayne

Our board has voted twice, at two different board meetings, on the same motion, and twice it was defeated by majority of a quorum vote. Yet the President wants to bring it up again for yet another vote at the next board meeting. How many times can this go on before he is no longer allowed to do this? If you have a RONR reference that would be terrific.

Our board has voted twice, at two different board meetings, on the same motion, and twice it was defeated by majority of a quorum vote. Yet the President wants to bring it up again for yet another vote at the next board meeting. How many times can this go on before he is no longer allowed to do this? If you have a RONR reference that would be terrific.

Nothing in RONR says it can't be brought up at every meeting until the end of time if it keeps getting defeated.

What do you mean "a majority of a quorum vote"? Unless you have some customized rules, a motion is defeated when the yes votes are not a majority of those present and voting. So, a motion would be defeated whether the vote was 3-3, 0-1, 0-100, or whatever. In other words, it does not take a majority of anything (under RONR) to defeat a motion.

The number of times is either googol or googolplex . . . something with "googol" in it. :unsure:

See RONR (11th ed.), p. 337, ll. 22-23, "Any motion that is still applicable can be renewed at any later session . . ."

(Perhaps David can provide the binary equivalent)

What do you mean "a majority of a quorum vote"? Unless you have some customized rules, a motion is defeated when the yes votes are not a majority of those present and voting. So, a motion would be defeated whether the vote was 3-3, 0-1, 0-100, or whatever. In other words, it does not take a majority of anything (under RONR) to defeat a motion.

I think he means "a majority vote, a quorum being present," otherwise I have no idea.

What do you mean "a majority of a quorum vote"?

A majority of a quorum vote is defined in a parliamentary source other than RONR and so has no applicability here. It will be up to Wayne to be sure to apply it properly, and I'll leave it at that. If you'd like to know more, use the PM here.

(Perhaps David can provide the binary equivalent)

I'll pass, but it's a reaalllllly long number.

A majority of a quorum vote is defined in a parliamentary source other than RONR and so has no applicability here.

It will be up to Wayne to be sure to apply it properly, and I'll leave it at that. If you'd like to know more, use the PM here.

Well, unless the phrase "majority of a quorum vote" actually appears in the organization's Bylaws (and I hope it does not) there's no need to apply it. :)

Archived