The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Special meeting exclusion

Guest Jack

I was a member of a police union. I had been terminated by the city for a political conflict.

The union had voted to back my appeal. I was cleared by the depts investigation.

The union lawyer who was representing me asked to call a meeting and exclude me. He championed to stop backing my appeal and cited several reasons.

I was not there, could not speak on my behalf or vote.

Is this legal under your rules?

Thanks

If this was a union meeting and you are (still) a member of the union (whose rights as a member have not been suspended pending disciplinary action) then you have all the rights of membership including the right to attend meetings.

But our rules (that is, the rules in RONR) are superseded by your rules (that is, the rules of your union and the laws of your municipality).

I was a member of a police union. I had been terminated by the city for a political conflict.

The union had voted to back my appeal. I was cleared by the depts investigation.

The union lawyer who was representing me asked to call a meeting and exclude me. He championed to stop backing my appeal and cited several reasons.

I was not there, could not speak on my behalf or vote.

Thanks

This does not sound like a parliamentary issue at all. Having experience as a union president at the local level, I wonder if "your" lawyer was actually the union's lawyer. Unless you had retained him and paid his fees, he may very well been advising you while he was working for the union, his actual client. As such, him having a meeting with them and discussing the merits of the case would be proper, but either way, I can't see how it's an RONR scenario. It's certainly not a union membership meeting.

Archived