The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Speaking Turns and other questions

Guest David

Each individual is allowed 2 speaking turns per motion. Does that include making a Motion? How about questions? Can an individual only ask 2 questions to the mover or ask 1 question and speak once or ask a question and make an amendment?

Are there any rules about marking people as absent if they come late or leave early?

If the Chair sees that there isn't any contention to a motion, can they just ask if there are any objections and if there is then vote and if there isn't the motion passes?

Thanks in advance.

And a Request for Information is not the same thing as being recognized by the chair for debate of an issue. While in debate, people should not be asking questions of the mover directly; all comments should be directed toward the chair. So, no, a properly made request for info is not a turn in debate. See RONRIB p 131

A motion can be adopted by unanimous consent. See RONRIB p 68

Via a Request for Information, which is "a request directed to the chair, or through the chair to another officer or member, for information relevant to the business at hand..." see RONR p 294. One may rise and ask the chair if the member speaking would consent to yield for a question, or if nobody is speaking in debate, one may ask the chair. But it is a request for info, as opposed to speaking in debate for or against the motion on the floor.

So how does one ask questions? Is it during the mover's speaking turn when you ask questions? If not, does answering a question count as a speaking turn?

I've often seen assemblies under the erroneous impression that the normal process for considering a motion is to take turns asking questions, instead of speaking in debate. I've even seen chairs who will ask, "Are there any questions."

Most of the concerns that members have can be addressed in debate, without use of the motion known as Request for Information. However, if a Request for Information is made and the speaker consents to the interruption, the time consumed will be taken out of his allowed time. See RONR (11th ed.), p. 295, ll. 11-12.

... If the Chair sees that there isn't any contention to a motion, can they just ask if there are any objections and if there is then vote and if there isn't the motion passes?

Sure. (RONR 11th Ed, pl 54 - 56). Generally called "unanimous consent" (or unanimously called "general consent" -- but you saw that coming, so I should have let it go by. If I could have thought of it when I was ten, I shouldn't be indulging in it when I'm 60. Except for ice cream. But that's not a joke, it's a quip ... ah, poor Guest_David).

Archived