The Official RONR Q & A Forums

ByLaws

Guest Ron

If the current President and Secretary can not produce a current approved copy of the bylaws, what should we do? I have propose that we provide a new copy of typed bylaws and give the appropriate 30 days to review and then vote to adopt them as current bylaws. Is this reasonable?

If the current President and Secretary can not produce a current approved copy of the bylaws, what should we do? I have propose that we provide a new copy of typed bylaws and give the appropriate 30 days to review and then vote to adopt them as current bylaws. Is this reasonable?

The proper thing to do would be to search through the minutes to compile a new copy of the current bylaws. However, since your secretary can't even produce a copy of the bylaws, it's quite possible that a complete set of minutes might not materialize any time soon. That's still your best bet, though.

The originally adopted bylaws and any amendments to them should be contained in the minutes. Good luck.

The proper thing to do would be to search through the minutes to compile a new copy of the current bylaws. However, since your secretary can't even produce a copy of the bylaws, it's quite possible that a complete set of minutes might not materialize any time soon. That's still your best bet, though.

The originally adopted bylaws and any amendments to them should be contained in the minutes. Good luck.

I am sure we also don't have a complete set of minutes and I have recently stepped into the position of Chief of the department. If that is that case, would my proposal to rewrite them as close to current as we can and have them adopted by vote of the members present.

... my proposal to rewrite them as close to current as we can ...

Well, the best your group can do is the best you can do.

... have them adopted by vote of the members present.
\

It would be much better to have them adopted by the closest possible approximation to the current bylaws' requirement for their amendment. If that is not available, the default options in Robert's Rules are (1) giving previous notice, and then a 2/3 vote; or (2) a majority of the entire membership.

Well, the best your group can do is the best you can do.

You're begging for this quote; so, here it comes.

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

-- Quote by Winston Churchill

It would be much better to have them adopted by the closest possible approximation to the current bylaws' requirement for their amendment. If that is not available, the default options in Robert's Rules are (1) giving previous notice, and then a 2/3 vote; or (2) a majority of the entire membership.

I concur, if this implies that the current process for amending the bylaws must be followed if it can be known.

Archived