The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Alleged Verbal resignation said to president not during a meeting

Guest Kbt

During a heated exchange between a board member and the president, the board member said he "was done with this (#%¥%)". The president claims that the board member stated that he "resigned" his position and that there were two witnesses. The president states that Roberts rules say that if a board member makes a statement resigning his position to the president and it is witnessed then it is a resignation. This exchange did not take place during a meeting and of the witnesses one is neither a board member nor a member of the organization. The other is a member of the organization but not a board member. The president has since informed others that the person with whom he had the exchange has resigned his position. I can not find anything in Roberts rules that address a board members' resignation. Can someone provide me with the page or section that deals with resignations, please?

The president states that Roberts rules say that if a board member makes a statement resigning his position to the president and it is witnessed then it is a resignation.

Ask the President to show the assembly where it says that in Roberts Rules. Bring your copy of the Book to the meeting, make a point of order, and offer up the book for the president to find (or rather, not find) that particular section. You may wish to use post-it notes to flag the sections on resignations.

During a heated exchange between a board member and the president, the board member said he "was done with this (#%¥%)". The president claims that the board member stated that he "resigned" his position and that there were two witnesses. The president states that Roberts rules say that if a board member makes a statement resigning his position to the president and it is witnessed then it is a resignation. This exchange did not take place during a meeting and of the witnesses one is neither a board member nor a member of the organization. The other is a member of the organization but not a board member. The president has since informed others that the person with whom he had the exchange has resigned his position. I can not find anything in Roberts rules that address a board members' resignation. Can someone provide me with the page or section that deals with resignations, please?

Try looking in the index under 'resignation' -- that's always a good starting point, and will bring you to a number of useful pages.

I thought I posted something like this earlier -- either it was deleted as an unduly harsh suggestion... or more likely I just forgot to hit the Post button.

I apologize if I sounded rude in my suggestion.

There is certainly no requirement that guests must purchase the Book before posing questions on this forum.

However, since you pretty much said that you were looking through Robert's Rules already ("I can not find anything... etc."), the reference to the index seemed fairly obvious. If you still have the previous (10th) edition of RONR, you should look on p. 279 for starters.

However, since you pretty much said that you were looking through Robert's Rules already ("I can not find anything... etc."), the reference to the index seemed fairly obvious. If you still have the previous (10th) edition of RONR, you should look on p. 279 for starters.

The paragraph on page 279, lines 10-16, in the 10th edition, however, has been revised in the 11th edition (p. 291, ll. 1-9), to strengthen the requirement that resignations submitted outside of a meeting are to be in writing, which would appear to be of some significance in the context of this particular thread.

Trina, thank you.

The copy of the Rules "mysteriously" vanished from our organization and I was working from resources online, (including this website) and was having dufficulty finding a reference for resignations. I now have an 11th edition as well as the Rules in brief and have located the information that I need. Thank you for the citations and assistance!

Archived