The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Excluding an executive board member from organizational issues

Guest Steve

Hello,

Looking for some guidance. In our local youth sports association, there is a divide amongst the executive members based on personalities. The exec board is comprised of the President, two Vice Presidents, secretary and treasurer. One of the Vice Presidents is being deliberately excluded from relevant league matters while others that should have no knowledge of certain issues are being consulted and copied on E-Mails.

As I am just a general board member, what remedies are available at our next open board meeting? I'm sure there are numerous procedural violations being committed and I would like to have those on the exec board accountable for their actions.

Specific details would provide some deeper insight but I thought I would start out generically.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Hello,

Looking for some guidance. In our local youth sports association, there is a divide amongst the executive members based on personalities. The exec board is comprised of the President, two Vice Presidents, secretary and treasurer. One of the Vice Presidents is being deliberately excluded from relevant league matters while others that should have no knowledge of certain issues are being consulted and copied on E-Mails.

As I am just a general board member, what remedies are available at our next open board meeting? I'm sure there are numerous procedural violations being committed and I would like to have those on the exec board accountable for their actions.

Specific details would provide some deeper insight but I thought I would start out generically.

Thank you for your thoughts!

We had better jump ahead to some specifics. A member of the executive board cannot be excluded from an executive board meeting. Is that what's happening?

Steve,

Not being excluded from a formal meeting but he is the only one not being copied on issues that the exec board are weighing in on. Specifically, a meeting was requested with state baseball officials about incidents at a recent tournament. The president, one VP, secretary and treasurer have all been involved in the discussion along with two of our baseball coaches. The VP that was excluded is responsible for the age group that is involved in this particular dispute.

Now, here's the reason for the exclusion. This VP is also the chair of our Disciplinary Review Board. At the beginning of the summer a sportsmanship complaint was lodged with our Park & Recreation department. He was asked by the Park & Rec director to investigate the complaint and report back to her. The parties involved in this complaint were the president of the league and the two coaches I referenced above. They felt he should have turned a blind eye to the complaint as frivolous and dismiss it. He followed through with the investigation and since then he has been completely isolated from league matters.

Does that help?

Steve,

Not being excluded from a formal meeting but he is the only one not being copied on issues that the exec board are weighing in on. Specifically, a meeting was requested with state baseball officials about incidents at a recent tournament. The president, one VP, secretary and treasurer have all been involved in the discussion along with two of our baseball coaches. The VP that was excluded is responsible for the age group that is involved in this particular dispute.

Now, here's the reason for the exclusion. This VP is also the chair of our Disciplinary Review Board. At the beginning of the summer a sportsmanship complaint was lodged with our Park & Recreation department. He was asked by the Park & Rec director to investigate the complaint and report back to her. The parties involved in this complaint were the president of the league and the two coaches I referenced above. They felt he should have turned a blind eye to the complaint as frivolous and dismiss it. He followed through with the investigation and since then he has been completely isolated from league matters.

Does that help?

It helps, but there is no rule in RONR requiring a member of the executive board to be included in e-mail discussions.

Not being excluded from a formal meeting but he is the only one not being copied on issues that the exec board are weighing in on.

Ah, but the executive board, as a board, is not weighing in on anything. That can only happen at a meeting of the executive board. What you're describing are the individual actions of individual board members outside the context of a meeting and, as has been noted, there's nothing in RONR that prohibits that.

By the way, somewhere down the line you might want to rename your executive board as the "executive committee". That would not only bring it in line with RONR nomenclature, it reduces any confusion that might result from having two "boards".

Ah, but the executive board, as a board, is not weighing in on anything. That can only happen at a meeting of the executive board. What you're describing are the individual actions of individual board members outside the context of a meeting and, as has been noted, there's nothing in RONR that prohibits that.

[

I get the sense that these proposed meetings with state baseball officials and ongoing discussions entail the officers' presenting themselves as formally representing the organization, which I'm not happy with, nor do I think Guest_Edgar and Mr Wynn are either. I think RONR does prohibit these other officers from acting as if something has been done at a legitimate meeting when it has not, which may be what's going on here. We can also tie RONR in with poor Guest_Steve's issues by referring him to FAQ #20 (http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#20 ) and Chapter Twenty in RONR.

By the way, somewhere down the line you might want to rename your executive board as the "executive committee". That would not only bring it in line with RONR nomenclature, it reduces any confusion that might result from having two "boards".

Three boards, perish help them: they also have that Disciplinary Review Board. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out not to actually be a board as RONR describes the term.

Oh, and yeah. Steve says: "... others that should have no knowledge of certain issues are being consulted and copied on E-Mails" (post #1). If that means that these "others" are being leaked information that is protected by the confidentiality of executive session in board meetings, then that certainly calls for the leakers to be held accountable (FAQ 20 and Chapter 20).

Archived