The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Approval of minutes

Guest Beaulieu

Ordinarily, committees don't bother producing minutes at all. When they have their product -- their report to the membership as to what they were charged with getting done -- they submit it to the organization, and that's the end of it.

That's the way it is normally. Here on the Robert's Rules website, I cannot (and I bet nobody else can, even at five in the morning New York time) say what should hold for your group from a Robert's Rules's perspective, since you're not using it. But I'll say, as far as Robert's ®ules is concerned, the change of membership would be immaterial: members are members, period. Yes really. If all the current members of the board were not there when that previous meeting occurred, so that they have no idea whatsoever of the facts that they're voting on, then they approve the minutes anyway, notwithstanding their sublime ignorance. RONR recommends against this; but if there you are, then there you are.

Ordinarily, committees don't bother producing minutes at all. When they have their product -- their report to the membership as to what they were charged with getting done -- they submit it to the organization, and that's the end of it.

That's the way it is normally. Here on the Robert's Rules website, I cannot (and I bet nobody else can, even at five in the morning New York time) say what should hold for your group from a Robert's Rules's perspective, since you're not using it. But I'll say, as far as Robert's ®ules is concerned, the change of membership would be immaterial: members are members, period. Yes really. If all the current members of the board were not there when that previous meeting occurred, so that they have no idea whatsoever of the facts that they're voting on, then they approve the minutes anyway, notwithstanding their sublime ignorance. RONR recommends against this; but if there you are, then there you are.

GcT,

What about p. 474, l. 31 - p. 475, l. 1?

GcT,

What about p. 474, l. 31 - p. 475, l. 1?

OH my.

Absolutely (almost).

THank you, TW.

Guest_Beaulieu_, come back!

"When ... there will be a change or replacement of a portion of the membership, the executive board or a committee appointed for the purpose should be authorized to apprrove the minutes."

But how this applies to Guest_Beaulieu_'s committee, per se, is kinda beyond me at 6:02 in the morning and $4.50 an hour.

Archived