The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Corrected Minutes

g40

I fully understand the RONR approval/correction of minutes process. Members of the body meeting make corrections to the minutes of the previous meeting and when all corrections are made, as long as no objections are raised, the minutes are apprived "as corrected"

I am a member of a 7 person Board and want to, in some way, have the "corrected" minutes somehow reviewed to make sure the Secretary has made such corrections properly. We do NOT have any sort of contentious board and no board member is difficult, etc.

What I have suggested to the Secretary (and she does not object) is that, she will have any minutes that are "corrected" from the draft she submits be informally available at the next meeting. Board members, that wish to do so, can look at these while gathering for the meeting. There would not be any motion, action, etc. taken as part of any meeting. In other words, handle this informally. Is there any reason, from an RONR point of view, that we should not just do it this way?

We only have corrections less than half the time and such corrections are usually very minor in nature.

I fully understand the RONR approval/correction of minutes process. Members of the body meeting make corrections to the minutes of the previous meeting and when all corrections are made, as long as no objections are raised, the minutes are apprived "as corrected"

I am a member of a 7 person Board and want to, in some way, have the "corrected" minutes somehow reviewed to make sure the Secretary has made such corrections properly. We do NOT have any sort of contentious board and no board member is difficult, etc.

What I have suggested to the Secretary (and she does not object) is that, she will have any minutes that are "corrected" from the draft she submits be informally available at the next meeting. Board members, that wish to do so, can look at these while gathering for the meeting. There would not be any motion, action, etc. taken as part of any meeting. In other words, handle this informally. Is there any reason, from an RONR point of view, that we should not just do it this way?

We only have corrections less than half the time and such corrections are usually very minor in nature.

There is nothing wrong with what you propose. The secretary is required to have those minutes at the meeting anyway. See RONR (11th ed.), p. 459, ll. 13-17. And members already have a right to look at these minutes. See p. 460, ll. 13-20

Archived