The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who can second a motion

Guest David

I recently sat in on a board meetin and heard something I had never heard before. A motion was made and then followed by a second. The motioning board member told the second that they could not second the motion becasue they were not at the last board meeting. Is this right, is it partly right? Is it that an absent member cannot second items from the meeting they were absent from?

Thanks for the insight.

David

Well, if they're absent from a meeting, they can't do anything at the meeting... But you seem to be asking about the next meeting.

Ask the person who made this objection where this rule is found - is it supposed to be in RONR? If so, where? Is it in the bylaws, or is it a custom of the organization?

The motioning board member told the second that they could not second the motion becasue they were not at the last board meeting.

No rule in RONR supports this perposterositiness, although your last question is vaguely ambiguous. May we assume the person offering the second at a board meeting was a board member?

. The motioning board member told the second that they could not second the motion becasue they were not at the last board meeting. Is this right, is it partly right? Is it that an absent member cannot second items from the meeting they were absent from?

Seconding a motion indicates you support it coming before the assembly for consideration. Saying I cannot second a motion made in the August meeting because I was not at a July meeting is simply ridiculous. (if that's what the scenario is; not completely clear)

Archived