The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removal of Board Member

Guest Beth

I am a co-founder of a non-profit. I was serving on the Board. I was told by the Board president this week that I am no longer on the board or even allowed to volunteer. My only crime was disagreeing with the President and V.P.. This was not the first time that I have disagreed with them but always went along with the majority. I thought I was allowed to disagree with them in board meeting, but I guess they did not. I am the one that is always pointing out to them how a non-profit board should be ran (such as an incident when the President told the Treasurer to pay for something that was not to be done) and then never discussed it or even brought it up to the Board. I am also the one that she has told the Board I have shared information about the meetings with others outside the group, but she is actually the one that did and the other party would be willing to tell the board this. Am I allowed to find out who made the nomination for my dismissal (which was done either at a secret meeting or by email) and who voted on it? And if so, how do I go about asking for that and are there any Indiana laws I can point to where they have to give me that information? Thanks.

Start with the bylaws of your association. They should say whether or not the president and VP have the authority to remove you from the Board. It seems unlikely. How did you get on the Board in the first place? You may have to share your experiences with other board members to get a majority on your side. If you can get that support, go (and be sure your friends go, too) to the next Board meeting.

As far as Indiana law goes, you will have to check with a local lawyer for he information you seek.

Archived