The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How to bring an organizations chaotic meetings to organization

Guest meetingchaos

Our organization has been around for almost 10 years, but we have never adopted any formal type of organization to the meetings. I want to bring in RONR to allow for more productive meetings and less stress and personal/excessive chatter that becomes unproductive. Where is a good starting point to begin moving toward a better format? RONR is so extensive that finding a starting point or first few steps to transition so that not only members can understand and follow, but also succeeds and doesn't make things more chaotic, seems like a daunting task. ANY tips for a starting point or process of implementation would be greatly appreciated. I will add, very few of our members have ANY experience in an organized meeting that uses Robert's Rules so the education of members will be a large part of the battle. Thanks in advance.

A good starting point would be Robert's Rules of Order In Brief. It sets out the basics in a very understandable format and explains how those basics will enhance the organization and efficiency of meetings. It's a rather inexpensive book and maybe you could spring for a few copies for a few key members and get them on your side.

Where is a good starting point to begin moving toward a better format? RONR is so extensive that finding a starting point or first few steps to transition so that not only members can understand and follow, but also succeeds and doesn't make things more chaotic, seems like a daunting task.

You could start with RONR In Brief. It focuses on the 20% of RONR that you'll use 80% of the time.

[Added after our own ATC's post for the link.]

In some organizations, just reviewing/approving the minutes is a three ring circus. If that describes your organization, I suggest starting there. Remind/educate the Chair of the meeting (and perhaps other offiers) that only proposed corrections are in order. When all proposed corrections have been made (or voted on if a disagreement), the minutes stand approved (as corrected). Our neighborhood Civic Association would have these lengthy arguments over the minutes - without proposing corrections - just arguing that what was in the draft was not correct.

After one particularly contentious such meeting, I "educated" the President (and a Vice-president as well) of the proper RONR procedure. Just that one change (following RONR) has made these quarterly meetings much smoother.

Archived