The Official RONR Q & A Forums

vote

Guest JJG

At a recent PTA meeting, a motion was proposed and passed. At the next meeting, some people who were not in attendance at the previous meeting didn't agree with something. Are they allowed to make an amended motion to change the original motion? Thanks for your help

Thank you! For some reason I assumed it would have to be done at the same meeting. I appreciate you clearing it up for me.

And note that the motion to amend something previously adopted has a higher voting threshold -- requires two-thirds vote without notice OR majority vote with notice OR majority vote of the entire membership. That higher threshold encourages some stability in the decisions of the assembly (if one or two people pipe up at a meeting, and don't agree with something that was adopted at the previous meeting, they won't prevail unless they persuade a significant proportion of other members to vote their way on the motion to amend). Also note that a motion can only be amended (or rescinded) to the extent that it hasn't yet been fully executed.

Archived