The Official RONR Q & A Forums

presidents job

Guest bill

we have a president who has his own opinion and will not bring anything to a vote. He just plows thorough all topics. He does not want change..."it's been done this way for this long why should we have to change"

For example: for the past few years there have been two coaches that have taught a certain program...a program that is a stepping stone to moving on to private lessons. If there are only 2 of the 3 coaches teaching this program then the up and coming students would only have contact with the two coaches and not the third one. The third one has requested in their letter of intent that they would like to teach this program as the program that they were contracted to coach last year was bowled over and all the students were put into the Jr Group. There fore this coach had not contact with up an coming students.

My question is does the president have the authority to say "I do not like change and let us leave it as is. The same two coaches will coach this program and leave the other coach out of the loop."

My question is does the president have the authority to say "I do not like change and let us leave it as is. The same two coaches will coach this program and leave the other coach out of the loop."

The President can express his opinions (outside of the meeting since he should remain impartial while presiding over the meeting per RONR pp. 394-395). However, the President doesn't have the authority (under RONR) to decree that something will be this way and it will be so. If the President tries to impose his will on the assembly don't let him get away with it. Raise Points of Order that he doesn't have the authority to ramrod things through and be prepared to Appeal any adverse ruling (see RONR pp. 247-260). If he refuses to acknowledge the Appeal then put the question yourself (RONR pp. 650-651) and you all can also Suspend the Rules and have someone else preside (see RONR pp. 651-653 and Official Interpretation 2006-2 and this script). If things get too bad you all should consider removing him from office (see FAQ #20).

Archived