The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Does there need to be a vote on the minutes from the previous meeting?

Guest June Kramer

The previous president of our church council always asked for a vote on the minutes from the previous meeting after they were distributed. I don't see this is necessary, but rather have them entered as written. If there is a change in the minutes, have them entered as corrected. Is this correct or do I need a vote on them no matter if they are correct or not?

Is this correct or do I need a vote on them no matter if they are correct or not?

No motion and no vote is required (or appropriate). Once any corrections have been made the chair declares the minutes "approved" ("as corrected", if appropriate). But note that there could be a vote on any proposed corrections.

• 2 weeks later...

The previous president of our church council always asked for a vote on the minutes from the previous meeting after they were distributed. I don't see this is necessary, but rather have them entered as written. If there is a change in the minutes, have them entered as corrected. Is this correct or do I need a vote on them no matter if they are correct or not?

You never need a vote on them. The only way to object to the minutes as they were read is to propose a correction that, if agreed to, would allow you to support them. You might need a vote on the proposed correction(s) unless everyone agrees, but once all the corrections are made (or rejected) the minutes then stand approved.

Archived