The Official RONR Q & A Forums

director terms

Guest Beth

In our by-laws it states (1) year must elapse before such individual is again eligible to be elected to the board.

My question is: Our annual meeting moves this year it was June 30, 2012 next year it will be May 23, 2013. We had 4 directors that termed out. The way our by-laws are stated they would not be eligible to run for the for board in May. Correct?

This question is based on your bylaws, and delivering an opinion based on your bylaws is beyond the scope of this forum.

Such an opinion would require a complete reading of your bylaws.

I am not sure why you need to read all of our by-laws? Section 6 deals with term limits. Each member of the board shall be permitted to serve as a director for two consecutive terms. Upon the experation of the director's second consecutive term as a director, 1 year must elapse before such individual is again eligible to be elected to the board.

The way I read this is that one year not from annual meeting to annual meeting.

Fools rush in...

I would sure read what you quoted to us as preventing any directors who "termed out" on June 30 2012 as not being eligible to be (re)elected on May 23, 2013.

There may (or may not) be a way around his, but that would require a reading of yor full bylaws.

If you want a professional parliamentary opinion...

If you anticipate that you might

have continuing parliamentary

difficulties or problems you

might want to get in touch with

a real live professional

parliamentarian in your area

(not virtual ones like us)

for consultations.

Contact either (or both) the ...

National Association of Parliamentarians

213 South Main St.

Independence, MO 64050-3850

Phone: 888-627-2929

Fax: 816-833-3893;

e-mail: hq@NAP2.org

<<www.parliamentarians.org>>

or

American Institute of Parliamentarians

550M Ritchie Highway #271

Severna Park, MD 21146

Phone: 888-664-0428

Fax: 410-544-4640

e-mail: aip@aipparl.org

<<www.aipparl.org>>

for a reference or information.

This question is based on your bylaws, and delivering an opinion based on your bylaws is beyond the scope of this forum.

Such an opinion would require a complete reading of your bylaws.

I am not sure why you need to read all of our by-laws? Section 6 deals with term limits...

Maybe you have something else in your bylaws that relates to the definition of a year, or relates to defining terms of office, or relates to elections, annual meetings, etc. The bylaws as a whole are crucial to understanding their individual parts.

Archived